Thursday, February 25, 2021

Snow-Pocalypse 2021

 "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."  -Albert Camus

So unless you've been under a rock the last few weeks, you know that Texas was crippled by some historically low temps, snow & ice.  It delayed everything.  Restaurants & businesses closed for days.  Factories & were shut down for days.  People experienced rolling blackouts, low water pressure, and tens of thousands didn't have any power or water at all.

That sure makes an old running blog pretty insignificant.  But just a short week later & we are back to 80 degree days!  God bless Texas!


This installment will be more or less a photo album.  Hell, I can barely remember 1 week ago, much less 2, but I'll try...


SNOW-POCALYPSE IS COMING

I ran with the 5am speedsters on Monday.  They super fast sub-7 milers easy, but sometimes they slow it down.  I was invited to tag along.






The temps really started dropping by mid-week, but nothing stops a turtle.  Leo & I met for some 5k loops.  He is training for a marathon that is a multiple loops course.  So he's been working on his loop enduring skills.  We did 4 loops.  Each loop was a 5k.  It actually wasn't that bad.  It cut the run up in bite-sized pieces.  I found myself zoning out a few times.  8 loops may have been a different story.





Saturday it was even colder.  The wind chill was subzero, but as you know, we just keep running.  So out we went for 10 frigid miles.  I picked up a Camelbak to try and move away from the waist belt bottles.  This wasn't the day to try that.  Newbie mistake.  By mile 3 the straw was completely froze up.  As best as I can tell when we finished the entire bladder was froze.






SNOW-POCALYPSE HAS ARRIVED

Sunday I ventured out for little run in the snow in Texas.  I figured it was probably one of my only chances to do so while in Texas.  Just a quick mile.  At 9am it was 4 degrees & felt like -16!







After a 6 day hiatus due to the weather & utility rationing, we were out again.  Probably a little too soon.  A lot of the main roads were good.  The sidewalks were still very treacherous, as we found out.  Not even quarter mile from the store & 2 turtles go down.  We were concerned that Don might have to go into concussion protocol, but luckily he was okay.  We finished up the 11 miles really slow & safe.






And just like that, one day later, there's not even a trace of any snow whatsoever.  Being low on miles for the month I went out and grabbed few. It ended up being 72 degrees that day!  That was pretty quick rundown of the last 2 weeks.  See you next time!


SNOW-POCALYPSE BE GONE!














No comments:

Post a Comment