Friday, June 2, 2023

I'm back and I'm an Ultramarathoner!

 

“Don’t give up because things are hard, but work harder, when you think of giving up.” – Anthony Liccione

"Don't be shy about asking for help.  It doesn't mean you're weak, it only means you're wise." - Unknown


It's been a LOOOOOONG 4 months, but I've finally started running pain free!  I won't lie.  It's been maddening.  To do all of the right things & still have problems.  Well, such is life.  You can either, let it derail you or you can keep pushing toward your goal.  I chose the latter.

I forced myself to move forward with a race I had already signed up for.  Sylamore Trail 25k in Arkansas.  Tons of rugged trail & ice-cold creek crossings.  Temps were in the 20s & the water was in the 30s.  I ran the first 8 or so with minimal pain.  The last 9 were miserable. Nonetheless Brian & I got it done.




I also decided to formally ask for help, in the form of a coach.  I came to the realization that I know a lot of things about running & weightlifting, but not how to marry the two for endurance running.  So, now I'm a member of Team Ninja, coached by accomplished ultrarunner, Greg Sisengrath!  

Look him up HERE.

So excited to be on this journey to 50 miles with a great coach & several friends that are also on the team.  Tweaking the calendar a bit...  I'm planning on Athens Big Fork (ABF) Jan 2024.  It'll be great trainer for the Pikes Peak Marathon.

A week before I hired Greg, I had 29-mile trail run on the calendar.  I was still experiencing pain, but I missed this race last year & really didn't want to miss it again.  With only 10 miles in the month, I went for it.  I will mention that I decided all of my issues had been from a weak Glute Medius.  So, I've been going to PT & all the other things mentioned last time.  I finished the race 29.2 miles, 3000+ ft of vert.




In the 8 or so weeks since, Greg has had me doing a ton of single leg exercises & bike riding.  I have finally got to where I don't have sharp pain when I run.  I've even worked back up to 2hr+ trail runs.

Everything is looking good!  Up next is this weekend, a timed race.  2hrs at Achilles Hill in Sunset Texas.  It's a lot of road, so it'll be a good test.  After that we'll start moving into some speed work & getting ready for Dana Peak 50k in October.


It feels good to be back on track!  A word for any of you in a rough patch... Just keep pushing.  Check that ego & ask for help.  Happy Trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment