Saturday, November 28, 2020

Turkey Week

 This week we celebrate Thanksgiving.  With that comes the reminder to be thankful for what we have.  Remember while we're out there pissing & moaning about terrible runs (present company included) that there are people that only wish they had that ability.  So be thankful for the ability to run.  

Now on to the running reports...

MONDAY

One of our FRC coaches setup a challenge this week.  A call to change up the pace a bit & run on a local trail.  While on that trail take a picture on a certain bench, "Ham's Halfway Inn", with the Frisco water tower & said bench in the shot.  It also came with the opportunity to win a prize.  Successful pics would enter you in a drawing for a $50 gift card to the Frisco Running Company.  Even though I had never been on this trial, you know I couldn't miss the opportunity to take a running photo. 

I don't typically run trails.  I've ran maybe 3 or 4 in my time as a runner.  Growing up playing a lot of basketball my ankles tend to dislike uneven terrain.  Which probably means I should do it more & build up those supporting muscles.

Nonetheless, Leonardo & I took to the trail in search of Ham's Halfway Inn.  It is a very well cared for trail. It's part of the DORBA trail system. (Dallas Off Road Bicycle Association) Its a single track trail sending runners & bikers in opposite directions.  This keeps everyone facing trail traffic & limits collisions. At this trial there are 3 paths currently, Ranger, Coyote, & Wolverine.  In the photo you'll notice the section to the north that looks washed out.  Formerly part of the trail system, but now home to the under construction PGA World Headquarters & golf course.

We started out on Ranger and ended up taking a wrong turn onto Wolverine (I think).  Which ended up being a loop that brought us back to our wrong turn.  Being on the trail was good change of scenery.  We met a lot of bikers & every one was nice & courteous.  We would move to the side to let them whiz by & they would say thank you.  About halfway in, as advertised, we found the photo spot.  Next came the challenge.  How do you take a photo while on the bench, getting the bench an water tower in the frame?
It took some serious grass balancing skills, but we got it done!  Cross your fingers that one of us wins the $50 gift card.  The challenge ends 11/29.






TUESDAY

Not a lot going on.  Hope for the Holiday is next week.  Cutting back a bit. So today is a rest day.  Just rolling & hydrating getting ready for tomorrow's mid-week long run.

This is good stuff! Liquid I.V.


WEDNESDAY

Another 4am wake up call to go run for fun. Nothing like 2 mile threshold intervals on a hump day!  The temp this morning was perfect. Mid-40s.  Once again 3 of us on the road.  Raphael should be back Saturday.

We started out at a nice easy pace. By mile 2 & 3 I started to notice that we were a little ahead of our pace target.  We always razz Donatello because he pushes the pace. Today he followed suit. Around 5 miles I thought, “Man, I’m feeling pretty strong”.  The 2nd round of thresholds Leonardo started pushing the pace. We ended up with a sub-9:00 mile 8.  We cruised through the last 2 miles. When all was said & done we had averaged a 9:28/mile pace for 10.3 miles.  Considering my last half marathon pace average was 9:58. I did bonk at the end of that race, but nonetheless, today was better.  It was a real confidence booster for sure.







THURSDAY - THANKSGIVING 

For several years I have ran on Thanksgiving morning. Its a weird runner thing.  We tell ourselves that if you run that morning you can eat whatever you want.  Last year it was the North Texas Turkey Trot. It got cancelled this year. So, on Monday I posted on the FRC Facebook page to look for interest in an impromptu Turkey Trot.  The idea seemed to be well received.  Someone even posted a race bib to print out & wear.



Not a bad turnout for a last minute social run!  The plan was to run one of the 4-mile training routes.  Around the 2 mile mark the group in the front decided to take the 5-mile turn.  We followed suit.  The other groups stuck to the course.  It worked out well as we all ended up finishing around the same time. A good time was had by all!  Now it’s time to eat!! 




FRIDAY

The typical programmed REST DAY. 


SATURDAY

Another Saturday morning long run with the Ninja Turtles.  Raphael is back from vacation.  So finally the team is back together. A little chilly for Texas again.. mid-40s with some wind. 

A young visiting runner joined us for a few miles.  We didn’t have a plan today except for the distance. So we just cruised by feel. Moderate to easy pace. It was a pretty uneventful run until around mile 8. Both of my shoes came untied. I can’t remember my shoes ever coming untied much less both of them. After about a 1/4 mile we made it to a stoplight & I had a chance to tie them. 

As I was tying, Leonardo told me about the double loop method. Since 2013 I’ve ran nearly 3,200 miles in numerous states with tons of people & no one has every told me about this double loop method. I guess since I’ve not had an issue with them coming untied I wouldn’t have brought it up. I’ll give it a whirl & see how it goes. 

Nonetheless we finished up our run & punched in a solid 10 miler. 

Another solid week in the books!  

Thanks for stopping by!






No comments:

Post a Comment