Wednesday, March 30, 2022

75 Hard: Week One

 

In a world that confronts me with mechanical convenience and idle luxury at virtually every turn, I have decided, nonetheless, to improve my physical fitness.  - Amby Burfoot


This was the first thing that stuck out to me in the book that I'm reading, Runner's World - The Complete Book of Running.  Yeah, I know, I'm already runner. I'm a mediocre runner & I want to know more.  Back to the quote...  It's so true.  We really don't have any reason to get out of our comfort zone to move through this life.  We can just meander along & never challenge ourselves.  

That's how we set it up.  We always bring up the microwave or the remote control, but we're so far past that now.  I don't even want to make my own food. Hell, I want someone to bring it to me. And my groceries. And any other thing that I can think of.  I no longer have to get up to change the channel because the TV is in the palm of my hand.  Even better, I don't even have to watch the commercials anymore.   I'm not condemning anyone.  I use these things.  I say it to illuminate my point.  It's easy to take it easy.

Week One:

I chose the Mediterranean Diet.  Vegetables, fish, chicken, pita bread, whole grain bread, brown rice, etc.  Stay away from highly processed foods like hot dogs, lunch meat, shredded cheese, etc.  I found a week's worth of recipes.  It only took about 3 days of not enough protein & carbs to realize that I needed to make an adjustment.  My body was not fueled enough for the 2-a-day workouts.  I went to a simple meal plan.  Baked fish, shrimp, or chicken paired with roasted veggies, either into a pita or with brown rice. For breakfast I’m doing avocado toast & eggs.  

Initially the hardest part was the water. Drinking a gallon of water takes planning. Another point of the program. You have to be intentional. 

On to Week Two!!!









No comments:

Post a Comment